The Problem of Lust

 

I promised myself never to stare with desire at a young woman. God All-Powerful punishes men who do that.
Job‬ ‭31:1‭-‬2‬ ‭CEV‬‬

The Problem of Lust

Lust is a common and powerful temptation that many people struggle with. Lust is defined as a strong craving or desire, often of a sexual nature, that is directed toward someone or something that is not rightfully ours.

Lust is sinful because it violates God's design for sexuality, which is meant to be enjoyed within the covenant of marriage between one man and one woman.

Lust also dishonors God, who created us in his image and gave us the ability to love and respect others.

Lust is selfish, greedy, and destructive, and it can lead to many harmful consequences, such as adultery, divorce, addiction, violence, and disease.

The Bible warns us about the dangers of lust and the judgment of God that awaits those who indulge in it.

In Job 31:1-2, Job declares his innocence before God and his friends, and he says, "I promised myself never to stare with desire at a young woman. God All-Powerful punishes men who do that."

Job understood that lust begins in the heart and in the eyes, and that it is not a harmless or innocent emotion.

He knew that God sees everything we do and think, and that he will hold us accountable for our actions and motives.

Job also knew that God is almighty and sovereign, and that he has the right and the power to punish sinners according to his justice and holiness.

The Solution for Lust

How can we overcome lust and live in purity and obedience to God? The Bible gives us some practical and spiritual guidance on how to resist and flee from lust. Here are some steps we can take to fight against lust:

- Confess and repent of our lust to God and ask for his forgiveness and cleansing.

1 John 1:9 says, "But if we confess our sins to God, he can always be trusted to forgive us and take our sins away."

God is gracious and merciful, and he will forgive us if we come to him with a humble and contrite heart.

- Renew our minds with God's word and meditate on his truth and promises.

Psalm 119:9-11 says, "How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word and following its rules. I have tried my best to find you—don't let me wander from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart, so I won't sin against you."

God's word is powerful and effective, and it can transform our thoughts and desires and help us to resist temptation.

- Seek God's presence and power through prayer and worship.

Philippians 4:6-7 says, "Don't worry about anything, but pray about everything. With thankful hearts offer up your prayers and requests to God. Then, because you belong to Christ Jesus, God will bless you with peace that no one can completely understand. And this peace will control the way you think and feel."

God is our refuge and strength, and he will give us peace and joy as we draw near to him and praise him for who he is and what he has done for us.

- Avoid situations and influences that trigger or fuel our lust.

1 Corinthians 6:18 says, "Don't be immoral in matters of sex. That is a sin against your own body in a way that no other sin is."

We need to be careful and wise about what we watch, read, listen to, and expose ourselves to. We need to guard our eyes, ears, and hearts from anything that can entice us or arouse us to lust. We need to flee from temptation and not play with fire.

- Seek accountability and support from other believers who can help us and pray for us.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 says, "Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble."

We are not meant to fight lust alone, but we need the help and encouragement of other Christians who can hold us accountable, counsel us, and intercede for us. We need to be honest and transparent with them and share our struggles and victories.

Conclusion

Lust is a serious and prevalent problem that we need to confront and overcome by God's grace and power.

Lust is not only a personal issue, but also a social and spiritual issue that affects our relationship with God and with others.

Lust is not compatible with God's will and purpose for our lives, and it can hinder our growth and fruitfulness as his children.

God wants us to live in purity and holiness, and to honor him and others with our bodies and our hearts.

God has given us the resources and the means to overcome lust, and he will help us and reward us as we seek him and obey him.

Let us follow the example of Job, who made a covenant with his eyes and his heart, and who feared God and shunned evil. 

Let us say with the psalmist, "I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done. I will be filled with joy because of you. I will sing praises to your name, O Most High." (Psalm 9:1-2)


Prayer:

Heavenly Father,
I thank you for your grace and mercy that you have shown me through your Son Jesus Christ.

I confess that I have sinned against you and against others by lusting in my heart and in my eyes.

I ask for your forgiveness and cleansing, and I renounce the power of lust in my life.

I pray that you would help me to guard my eyes and my heart from temptation, and to fill my mind with your word and your truth.

I pray that you would help me to honor you and to respect women as your precious creation.

I pray that you would strengthen me by your Holy Spirit to live in purity and holiness, and to glorify you in all that I do.
In Jesus' name,
Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Words

The Power of Prayer

Mastering the Art of Saying No: A Guide to Overcoming Guilt