Faith in the Storm

 

At once, Jesus reached out his hand. He helped Peter up and said, “You surely don't have much faith. Why do you doubt?”
Matthew‬ ‭14:31‬ ‭CEV‬‬

The verse Matthew 14:31 is part of the story of Jesus walking on the water and inviting Peter to join him. This story shows both the power and the compassion of Jesus, as well as the faith and the doubt of Peter.

Jesus had just fed a large crowd with five loaves and two fish, and then he sent his disciples away in a boat while he went to pray on a mountain. Later that night, he came to them walking on the sea, which terrified them. He told them not to be afraid, and identified himself as their Lord. Peter, who was always eager and impulsive, asked Jesus to command him to come to him on the water. Jesus said, "Come."

Peter got out of the boat and started walking on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind and the waves, he became afraid and began to sink. He cried out, "Lord, save me!" At once, Jesus reached out his hand. He helped Peter up and said, “You surely don't have much faith. Why do you doubt?”

This verse reveals several lessons for us today.

First, it shows that Jesus is the Son of God, who has authority over nature and can do miracles.

He can also empower his followers to do extraordinary things, if they trust him and obey him.

Second, it shows that Jesus is a loving and merciful Savior, who rescues us when we are in trouble and calls us to him.

He does not abandon us or reject us, even when we fail or falter.

Third, it shows that Peter is a human being, who has both faith and doubt.

He had faith to step out of the boat and walk on the water, but he also had doubt when he saw the storm and took his eyes off Jesus. He needed to learn to keep his focus on Jesus and not on the circumstances.

We can relate to Peter, because we also have faith and doubt. We have faith when we believe in Jesus and follow him, but we also have doubt when we face difficulties and challenges.

We need to remember that Jesus is always with us and always ready to help us. He invites us to come to him and walk with him, even on the water. He also rebukes us and corrects us, not to condemn us, but to strengthen our faith and make us grow.

He asks us, "Why do you doubt?" to remind us of his power and his love, and to encourage us to trust him more..

Prayer:

Lord Jesus, thank you for your power and your love, that you can walk on the water and invite me to join you.

hank you for your mercy and your grace, that you reach out your hand and save me when I sink.


Forgive me for my doubt and my fear, that I sometimes look at the storm and forget about you.

Help me to keep my eyes on you and to trust you more. Increase my faith and my obedience, that I may follow you wherever you lead me.

You are my Lord and my Savior, and I praise you.

Amen.
***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Words

The Power of Prayer

Mastering the Art of Saying No: A Guide to Overcoming Guilt