TELLING THE TRUTH

Dr. Leonard Keeler, inventor of the lie detector machine, has tested 25,000 individuals and came to the conclusion that human beings are basically deceptive. No kidding? How can we be honest in a dishonest world? How do I tell the truth? We first have to look at why people lie.

WHY DO WE LIE?
The Type of Lie / The Motive
The cruel lie - You tell it to get revenge.
The cowardly lie - You tell to escape consequences
The conceited lie - You tell it to impress
The calculated lie - You tell it to manipulate other people
The convenient lie - You tell it because it takes effort to tell the truth

Jesus is saying the real problem is not my mouth but my heart. What's coming out of my mouth, these lies, are really an indication of what's inside of me. It's not what comes out that matters it's what's inside of me.
Matthew 15:19 "For out of the heart comes evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, lying and slander."

Jesus said that what's in your heart is what's going to come out of your mouth. So the heart of the issue is the issue of the heart -- if my heart is filled with resentment then I'm going to find myself telling lies. If my heart is filled with fear and worry then I'm going to find myself telling cowardly lies. If my heart is filled with insecurity then I will find myself easily telling conceited lies. If my heart is filled with selfishness I will end up telling calculated lies to get what I want. If my heart is filled with laziness I will find myself telling convenient lies.

SO WHAT'S THE SOLUTION? The only way to stop lying, if you want to be a person of integrity, is to get a new heart. Jesus specializes in heart transplants.

God says, if you want to live a long life, a life of joy, peace and not guilt He says keep from speaking evil and telling lies.
"Would you like to enjoy life? Do you want long life and happiness? Then keep from speaking evil and from telling lies." Ps. 34:12-13 (GN)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Words

The Power of Prayer

Mastering the Art of Saying No: A Guide to Overcoming Guilt