LOVE MATTERS MOST

MATT. 22:36-39 (LB) “WHICH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT COMMAND?” JESUS REPLIED, “LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, SOUL, AND MIND. ‘THIS IS THE FIRST AND GREATEST COMMANDMENT. THE SECOND MOST IMPORTANT IS SIMILAR: ‘LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS MUCH AS YOU LOVE YOURSELF.”

I hate to tell you this but the truth is one day all your trophies are going to be trashed. Given enough time somebody’s going to throw them away. That bowling trophy! That merit badge! That report card! That certificate of accomplishment! That gold watch that you got for retirement! Nobody’s going to remember those things. I doubt that you have any of the awards that your grandparents got.

When people are dying they don’t want things around them. What they want is people. They want the people that they love and they want to love those people.

The truth is everybody – every one of us – will eventually learn the basic truth of life that life is about relationships not accomplishments. Everybody’s going to eventually learn it on their deathbed. When you’re dying you’re going to want people around you who love you, not things. So we’re all going to figure that out.

My prayer for you is this: I want you to learn that today. Not when you die. I want you to learn that what matters right now are relationships. What matters is do I love God with all my heart? And do I love everybody else? Because that’s why God put me on earth for these eighty or so years.

In fact, the Bible says life without love is worthless. It is a wasted life. The Bible says this:
1 COR. 13:3 (MSG) “NO MATTER WHAT I SAY OR WHAT I BELIEVE OR WHAT I DO, I’M BANKRUPT WITHOUT LOVE.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Words

The Power of Prayer

Mastering the Art of Saying No: A Guide to Overcoming Guilt