LEARNING TO BE CONTENT

The Living Bible says "IT'S FOOLISH TO THINK WEALTH BRINGS HAPPINESS!"
Things can bring happiness for a while. But the thrill doesn't last. The excitement wears off. When you get something and open the package you think, Wow, this is great. But after a while it's not so great any more. You're bored with that piece of art or that furniture or that car. Why? WHY DON'T THINGS KEEP YOU PERMANENTLY HAPPY? BECAUSE THINGS DON'T CHANGE. HUMAN BEINGS LIKE CHANGE. If things don't change we get bored with them.
That's why we have a thing called fashion or style. Because things don't change we get bored with them and we have to have something new. Pretty soon you have to redecorate, or remodel or repair or replace or at least rearrange it. Things don't give permanent happiness. I wonder how many of you are still thrilled about the Christmas gift you got last Christmas. You don't even remember what you got last Christmas! Things do not bring lasting happiness. It's a temporary thrill. And coveting is the number one reason for disastifaction in our world.
WHAT IS THE ANTIDOTE TO COVETING?
The antidote to coveting is contentment. Paul says, "I'VE LEARNED THE SECRET OF BEING CONTENT WHETHER LIVING IN PLENTY OR IN WANT."
One of the greatest lessons you can learn, LEARN TO ADMIRE WITHOUT HAVING TO ACQUIRE. I don't have to own everything to enjoy it. If the only things you enjoy are the things you own, you're going to be miserable a lot of your life. You can't own everything.
Happiness does not come from possessions, it comes from knowing your purpose in life. Why in the world did God make me and why am I here. What does he want to do with my life? Where am I going when I die?
What are you living for? Just trying to get more? It's not a good enough goal. I'd suggest you reexamine your priorities.
What am I living for? What's going to happen when I die? All that wealth will do me no good at all. What I did with it here on earth will do me some good if I use it in the right way.
I WANT TO CHALLENGE YOU TO CHALLENGE THE MYTH OF HAVING MORE WILL MAKE ME MORE HAPPY.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Words

The Power of Prayer

Mastering the Art of Saying No: A Guide to Overcoming Guilt